Approximately in 132 BC the Emperor Hadrian of Rome began construction of Aelia Capitolina city on the remains of Jerusalem. With expansion and building of the church of Venus the location where Jesus was placed after crucifixion was destroyed.
After 200 years when Christianity invaded Roman Empire, the first emperor of Rome Constantine ordered destruction of Venus Church in order to unseal Christ’s tomb. Later Constantine built an orthodox church around the remains, which is called St Tomb church.
During the following centuries, as a result of crusades and various regimes the church was destroyed couple of times and was finally restored. In 1927 a severe earthquake seriously damaged the building. In 1947 a gigantic protective fence was made around the tomb’s inner room. The protective fence guarded the place; however the monument was so dangerous last year that it was sealed by Israel Antiquities Authority.
Current restoring works are being done by National Technical University of Athens. After removing the marble tiles the limestone walls of Christ’s tomb and the place where he was put after crucifixion came to light. This is the first time after 1555 when we are able to see the tomb walls. As the experts state the original structure of the grave has remained the same.
Number of scientists is skeptical about the discovery. The first record of Christ’s tomb belongs to Constantine’s mother – Helen, who was born 300 years later after Christ’s crucifixion. Some scientists even doubt whether Christ really existed or not.