Today, on July 29, the first working meeting was held within the framework of the ongoing project of Georgian National Committee of the Blue Shield “Planning for the Safeguarding of Cultural Heritage of Gori, Georgia” with government agencies responsible for the protection of cultural heritage in crisis situations. The introductory event was hosted by Mr. Irakli Kobulia, Disaster Risk Management Specialist.
The Project by Blue Shield Georgia, funded by the ALIPH Foundation (The International alliance for the protection of heritage in conflict areas), aims to assist in disaster preparedness and management of the Gori Sergi Makalatia Historical and Ethnographic Museum.
One of the most important components of the project is the deepening of civil-military cooperation between the state agencies responsible for the protection of cultural heritage in crisis situations.
Today, the first working meeting was held within the framework of this component, the main goal of which is to form a working group; agree on the basic principles of group work and develop a future action plan. In addition, during the meeting, the goals and expected results of the project were introduced to all stakeholders and the activities already implemented within the project were presented.
Among the invited guests, the event was attended by officials or managers of the following agencies:
• Head of UNDP Georgia Disaster Risk Reduction Service;
• Secretary General of the Georgia Red Cross Society;
• Head of the International Relations Department of Georgia Red Cross;
• Advisor to the International Committee of the Red Cross in the field of defense and security forces in the South Caucasus
• Chief Specialist of the Geology Department of Ilia State University Institute of Earth Sciences and The Seismic Monitoring Center,
• Deputy Director of the Environmental Information and Education Center;
• Georgian National Tourism Administration,
• TSU (Tbilisi State University) M. Nodia Institute of Geophysics,
We thank each and every one of them for participating and hope to further deepen our cooperation in the near future.